THE AGE



Here I was standing by the rack of a gift store seriously trying to figure out what present to give a One year old. After walking that aisle twice, surfing layers of shelves, touching a few things, I settled for an interactive book and a card. It had been a while since I attended such social outings, as work always overcame my weekends. I had no idea what a one year old’s birthday was going to be like, because it’s been ages since I attended any. My friend who invited me said it wasn’t anything big just a little get together to mark the day.



On getting there, very few people had arrived so we exchanged pleasantries with the celebrants’ parents and we were seated. I was startled by the loud music blaring from the woofer speakers and other kids and their parents started trooping in. soon the MC got the party started with prayers, ushered kids to have their faces painted, then they started playing games, some jumping in the bouncing castle, Mascot’ teasing some children, others dancing, taking pictures and eating as is the characteristic of most parties. I gave my friend Manji who was across the table the look that said is this the small get together?



The kids were having so much fun dancing, playing games and winning prizes, while the adults chatted over food in their small groups. For a moment, I understood the meaning of the verse of scripture that says happy is he whose quiver is full them. The joy kids exude is overwhelming.

I turned my gaze from my table’s discussion to the kids in the open square who were pairing up for the dancing competition, as I watched them dance I found it interesting and some made me really laugh as I noticed other parents laughing too, some moves the kids did were just indescribable that we just turned and looked at each other and burst out laughing in contagious harmony, some were crying at the sight of the mascot. some particular girls did some aggressive and sensual moves that I was so embarrassed I had to close my eyes, but they were oblivious of our stare, I knew they were having a good time. My friends’ brother from across the table said “MTV”, another said “TRACE”. To my surprise some other parents were watching and laughing, others were as surprised as I was, and some others were indifferent and munching away. Somewhere in my head I wondered if these children even knew or understood what they were doing.


The weather changed, with tiny drops of rain and winds, so we decided it was about time we take our leave as the party was almost rounding up too. We said our goodbye’s with hugs.

On our way back, we got talking about work, traffic and the roads somehow the gist landed in the party zone, little did i know my friends shared my thought. Someone in the vehicle mentioned a couple of artists and music videos where some of the dance moves we saw were from. 
Raising children in this age is quite a task, and the role of Television has evolved over the years and its influence far reaching. I sincerely pray for parents in this generation, the competition is getting stiff every day and I hope God wins over all the other contenders, So our society and nation at large would be better for it.

Comments

  1. Interesting... I couldn't stop until I got to the very end, in one reading. Good job. Today's message was softer and I like that difference... Weldone

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment