MIRACLES IN MY HANDS:



We had just finished writing our last paper of the May/June SSCE, as I peered through the window to see my mates excited with screams, boys and girls running, songs of victory, and class mates signing out their names on classroom walls and our white blouses and shirts, I couldn’t help but think of what life held for me... the struggle to raise the exam fees were vivid in my mind until Tega smacked me on the head with ruler. She said “Ochuko everyone is outside celebrating, what you are doing inside the class?” I really didn’t feel like this celebration, but she urged me to join in saying “you would never have this experience again, just enjoy it”. So I zipped my bag and joined the play outside.


While we waited for the result and planned for what next, I followed my widowed mum to the village market where she sells vegetables, and occasionally to the big town on market days when we had larger harvest. Our little sales was used to maintain the house and my siblings still in school.

With a JAMB score of 176 and 6 Credits including Maths and English, and increasing financial difficulty at home and unsuccessful admission, my aunt suggested I come to the city and work as a domestic staff and raise some money for school. I refused, my mum was opposed to the idea too, but as things got harder after a crude oil spill in our community affected some farmlands including ours, I decided to take the offer. With so much fear about what this would bring and a little hope that I could do it, I went on my first voyage from home to my aunt’s place in Abuja. After 2 weeks she finally got a household in need of a help, and in three days here I was in a new environment, new people, new ways, new rules…

I’m first of all struck by their 3 year old daughter who doesn’t speak, rarely eats and
defecates on herself…No way! I can’t do this my mind reasoned. So many questions running through my mind yet I couldn’t ask anyone, didn’t want to return to my aunt in just a few weeks, I didn’t want to disappoint her or loose a chance to help my family. But mostly my struggle was with the voice of encouragement and discouragement fighting for supremacy in my mind. As days turned to weeks and weeks to months, I found my time in prayers reduced the weight of this feeling and I got some light and joy started to trickle into my life. It didn’t change the situation but I found grace daily to go through the rigors of taking care of her and keeping the house.

Every morning as I got her ready for school I would sing to her, tickle and give her a smile and in six weeks when I’m singing she’ll hum along tunes and subsequently she started to sing along. Sometimes her parents would sneak up behind me to see if it was actually the daughter singing…then ask is she singing? ‘Yes’ I would answer with a smile. With time she improved in school… the teachers asked if the parents got her a therapist or a good nurse. “No, it’s one small 16 year old girl in my house o!”


After my first year, I went home for the Christmas holiday and I didn’t want to return, the madam called me and asked if I was coming back I said “no” and she said “OK, greet your people”. but as I sat back at home I was troubled in my spirit I knew God wanted me to go back, a week later I grabbed my bags and went back to Abuja. They were so excited to see me, especially my little friend Sharon, they even cooked something for me.

2 months later I prayed that I wanted an increase in pay to be able to meet some needs, some people advised me to go and ask my boss, but I decided to trust God about it. The next month he doubled my salary. I couldn’t even speak, God did more than I expected. I believed it was time for the 4 year old to stop wearing diaper so I prayed about it. And God gave me ideas, which I started to use, I would get discouraged at times when i wake her up for school in the morning and find her bed soiled. But I just kept hope and many months down the line she’s stopped using diaper and talks on her own and came 1st position in class last term. I was over joyed, and I’m thankful to God. The man of the house called me some weeks ago he asked if I was using any "medicine or jazz" on his daughter I said “No”. I said you see me sir, I don’t do anything but sing songs which you also know. He smiled and said I’ve taken her to doctors within and outside the country and they said nothing is wrong with her and she wasn’t getting any better. Thank you for coming to my house, you’ve done more than we hoped for. I said “thank you sir but God did it and not me”.

As I retired to bed after this conversation, my thoughts kept racing but I realized God can use anyone, if he could use the big fish to swallow Jonah, Lepers to save a Nation, even me (Ochuko) a house girl he could use just for his Glory.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you Mojo, it such an inspiring piece. Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice piece. More ink to your pen and more inspiration to your mind. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Amazing! The will of God never leads you where His grace can't keep you. Indeed God can use anyone and anything for His glory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment